Monday, February 6, 2017

A Super-Duper Bubbly Dress

Milestone!
If, first sleepover was considered a milestone...?
It feels in the past few weeks my little girl has matured a lot. She initiated a sleepover at a friend’s house on Friday and she did it! Not that I was eager to chase her out of the nest at all, or I wanted a sleepover for her, I was excited merely because I know once she’s set her mind to something, she just does it. From past experience, I’ve learnt that with C sometimes pushing is not the best way, if she’s ready to allow things to happen, they will happen; otherwise, it just creates unnecessary stress.


Besides C’s sleepover, which was the highlight of the weekend, we went to the same family for supper. I’m not an entertainer myself and I dread inviting people over. I mean I like the very idea of inviting people over and having a beer at the braai, but that cooking up a storm doesn’t sound appealing for the time being and cleaning up afterwards is a major putoff. I guess I just need to express my gratitude deeply to the friends who feed us and are like family to us. If you happen to be reading this, you know who you are. Thank you.
 
Let’s talk about this dress. I’m making a lot of cover looks lately. They are all the things that I’ve been wanting to sew for months/years and I’m only catching up. This green dress is from this book and it’s fully lined, which means thin fabric is essential. The fabric is from Sir Lowry’s and I go there because I know every time I can walk out of that shop with at least one piece of plain understated fabric that usually doesn’t catch anybody else’s eye. And to be honest, working with solid colors is more fun.
 
 
I’m mostly drawn to contemporary interiors, but every now and then, I make a pause for the vintage look. This granny flat we are staying in right now, reminds me of studio setups where I used to go and have my pictures taken when I was a very little girl.
 
Not a bad start of the week. Now C is asking for an evening gown, like the one you wear to a ball she adds. I have no idea what's going on in her little head right now. She didn't even want to wear a dress a few weeks ago. I guess a sleepover did her good. Wait, at this rate, I'll be sewing her wedding dress soon.....

2 comments:

  1. This is so perfect Jing. Is it cotton? It has a nice sheen to it. So are you going to make the evening gown? R is always asking for such things...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it's 100% cotton. I bring a lighter with when I go fabric shopping. What gown? She's forgotten about it... I hope. :D Good luck with your daughter. I get a feeling that you will be making one before me.

      Delete