Friday, October 14, 2016

Sewing Summer Essentials

Have you ever seen any of Zach King's videos? We are addicted. As I buried myself sewing these basics, I kept on imagining having real magical power that I could copy and paste them in one second, or at least throw some new colors in and watch them multiply.

This is it. Knits and basics. C doesn't want to wear anything else. Going to a shop and getting the most basic tee shirts and shorts did come cross my mind and then because of my die-hard stubbornness, I dived in myself.
 
One of the reasons that I went ahead myself was triggered by a mall trip. We were there to get a new toy -- same old story,  something that I definitely cannot manufacture in my home factory. Since I started sewing, I don't really frequent shopping malls, and somehow that day by seeing so many clothing shops made me feel sick. Do we really need so many options? Where will these fast fashioned cheap clothes go eventually? Dumpsite? When I was a kid, each household had a milk subscription, and then the milkman came to deliver it in our "milk box". I remember going down to the box to get our two bottles of milk every morning and once you're done, you leave the empty glass bottles in the box for the milkman to collect the next day. Now you can buy as much milk as you please, or anything. There isn't a quota anymore and this world is just over producing and over consuming, whatever industry it is. It's good to have all these choices, and at the end of the day, a lot of them are going to be dumped and wasted. Besides the cost involved from a business side of perspective, what has it done to our earth?
 
Anyway, change to a lighter topic. I'm glad I sewed them up myself. I've reached a sewing milestone with the four pieces of basics. I bought a walking foot and used twin needle for the first time. The finishing look is so professional. When I proudly showed C the neckbinding and hems, together with the twin needle for explanation, her comment was, "Now it looks like real clothes." I wasn't sure that I had been sewing fake clothes before these, but I'm so happy it's solid quality with good standard finishing touches.
 
The summer lounge around outfits .... finally I've made something that I know C's happy to grab from the closet all the time.

6 comments:

  1. I am nodding me head so hard it feels like it will wobble off.
    Gorgeous, child friendly clothes.
    (And a good read, to boot)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you are so funny. I guess that's why we all sew, right? At least we are doing our bits.

      Delete
  2. Love that teal colour. And I share your feelings on excessive consumption. When I came back here from living in SA I was stunned to see so much useful stuff being chucked out for hard rubbish collection. I kept thinking how it would be used in CT, how if you put it outside someone would immediately take it away and find a use for it. At least you know you're doing your bit by creating thoughtfully-produced quality clothing that will be loved and worn all summer long :) By the way, where is that t-shirt pattern from? I like the wide bands on the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid by the time these garments are outgrown, no one would lay hands on them. Currently my daughter is wearing leggings with holes... You wouldn't say her mama can sew and make her a few more pairs. The pattern is from here. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-1933793 The wide bands mean no hemming. :-D

      Delete
    2. Oh, I've got that book - in fact I'm currently sewing a top from it. That t-shirt can be next in line :)

      Delete