Friday, September 2, 2016

A Little Black Dress

"Oh no, not a dress, mom." Yep, the reflex response from my 6-year-old, who has chosen to adopt a tee shirt + pants style way too early for her age. She then examined the dress and accepted the color --- she knows black is her color. She put it on and held my hand for me to walk her to the mirror --- a little shy to check what she looks like in the dress --- "I actually love it." 
And I love it, too. It's a simple yet nicely shaped garment that can be dressed up or down. Drumroll for the elasticated waistband. With it, the dress looks more fitted and it's not at all difficult to sew. The pattern is from here. Fabric is 100% linen. Now that I've got the fabric stash right, I've got many things lined up to sew. I wish there was a magic way to cut fabric faster. I've given rotary cutter a try before, but those little bits of connected spots here and there drive me crazy. So I'm a 100% fabric shears devotee, even if they give me permanent blisters on my thumb.
 
Here is a confession. After more than two years of sewing, I still cannot figure out how to make a button loop. I mean, I know the theory, but it's impossible for me to actually get it right. I've tried needle-and-thread method, and with a proper button loop turner. Everytime, I ended up being a frustrated mess. So now I just fold the fabric and sew on the right side. The loop does become a little thicker, but it doesn't bother me, definitely not C. Or sometimes, when I'm lazy, I just cut a piece of hair elastic. Whatever works for you, right?
 
We might have a new book worm in the house. C can read pretty well by herself, but still prefers to be read to. I think it's the cuddles that she's after. But when those magical moments happen when she's swallowed by words, the house becomes too quiet and even though I'm getting my "five minutes' peace", I tend to go check on her more often than needed. Motherhood does weird thing to you....
 
I think she said to me this morning that she's going to wear pink again. It either happened in one of my dreams or my hazy morning state. And I am going to believe pink represents dresses. I need Sigmund Freud please.

2 comments:

  1. It looks really great - and it's such a nice easy dress to wear, with the elastic waist. I'm selfishly happy you've made C a black dress, because I'm just about to cut one out for R but was feeling a bit strange about the colour (as children my sister and I were banned from wearing black!). And since C enjoys reading, I'm going to give you my top recommendation for 8-year-olds (I know she's not 8, but she'll be there soon): Ronia the Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren. I read it to R and she loved it, but the vocab is simple enough for a grade 2 or 3 to read for themselves too, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marisa. I think "in the olden days" when we were kids, it was a bit odd to wear black dresses. Kids were meant to wear happy colors only. But hey we are in a new era :-)
      I will definitely check out the book you recommended. Looks like a classic story. My daughter's favorite is Daisy series (Daisy and the trouble with... ) by Kes Gray. They are all too funny.

      Delete