Monday, August 29, 2016

A Linen Cape Dress

A linen cape dress... is one way to call it. I feel I might go to an audition for a Nightingale or some nun roll in this outfit, and have a winning shot. But you know what, this linen is so comfortable and there's a hint of summer in the air, so I don't really mind that I look like a religious worker.


It's a pattern from Feminine Wardrobe. I've been wanting to make a lot of things from this book because it's just so my style. I did make two dresses, here and here. But after that, either I couldn't find the right fabric or I got caught up with other patterns, or I was so preoccupied with life that I forgot about it altogether. Really, I can't come up with any fresher excuses nowadays.
 
It's 100% linen shipped all the way from Japan. There are a few reasons that I don't order any overseas fabric online. Number one, the shipping is too unreliable; Two, the cost goes sky high with our exchange rate and the extra shipping charges and handling fee; Three, why bother when you can pester a local fabric shop owner until he orders a container from Japan. The linen is totally worth the wait. I've bought a few colors but I'm very tempted to go back and grab rolls and rolls before they get sold out. The problem is I have no more storage space and I have no intention to watch how dust is collected on fabric rolls.
 

These photos taken on dark evening natural lights needed lots of editing and most of them were blurring. I think I need to step to the brighter outdoors for a messier backdrop but clearer images.
 
Again, I was hoping a pair of Converse would take away a bit nun-ness off the outfit.... I am warming up to the dress.

4 comments:

  1. I like it - the cape makes the dress more interesting and unique. You could call it 'nun chic' and start a trend! There is granny chic (Dottie Angel dress). I love capes, having made three of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. "Nun Chic" is definitely a trend setter. I shall wear it with pride.

      Delete
  2. The shape of the dress is really nice - definitely a cut above 'the sound of music' :) I like the little shoulder ties, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, The Sound of Music! How did I forget about that one? I'm counting on the shape.... Thank you, Marisa.

      Delete