Monday, June 6, 2016

Purl Soho Sweatshirt Sweater in African Expressions Yarn

Happy Monday! I'm entering a new week, still machineless, with a new project to share. I think by now I am officially numb with all my ill-focused photos. My tripod is still in the store-room and nobody else was around but a six-year-old labor. I couldn't be too picky. These photos are the least blurry ones out of 100 more bursts....

 
There is a first-time for everything, like knitting yourself a sweater... I've knitted a sweater for my daughter last year, but this Sweatshirt Sweater from Purl Soho is much bigger thus a lot more time was invested. If you came to see me last week, you'd see a zombie, making a very obvious bum dent on the couch and mindfully knitting away. My husband actually came out of the study a few times to check on me. He felt I wasn't the usual self who often listens to podcast while sewing. "I'm concentrating." I told him. How many more years of knittings will I have to do to finally achieve a certified granny level?
 
The pattern is actually very, very easy to follow. It involves nothing but the basic purl and knit. The best part is that the whole sweater is worked upwards from the bottom so there is no seam to join. I used some leftover grey yarn from C's mittens for the neckband, just to make it more interesting. The yarn is from African Expressions' Freedom range. Only after I finished the whole thing, did I notice some obvious mistakes near my right shoulder, possibily some on the left shoulder too. But I'd never be able to take it apart and pick up all the loose stitches and still figure out where those stitch markers used to be, I had to leave it be. I'm still quite happy with the sweater regardless. A major achievement of mine.
 
Do you see that little yarn hanging from the hem? I was so eager to try it on that I hadn't even weaved in all the ends yet, let alone blocking it. Anyway, I am very positive that it will get tons of wear. Basic styles are the best. Plus, this pattern is for free. If you are itchy to try some selfish knitting, I definitely recommend this one.

6 comments:

  1. You are so talented.
    I adore hand knits but lack the skill. Your jumper is divine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole. You are so good at sewing. Come on join and knitting addiction support group with me this winter. It's really not that hard. I will be watching you. :-)

      Delete
  2. That is so lovely with the contrast neckband. As a non-knitter I am super, super impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Knitting is a big time commitment, although the skill level for this one is pretty low.... Are you itching to try knit something this winter?:-D

      Delete
    2. No, but I'm crocheting a cardigan for R, and even though it's a very simple sleeveless design, it will take me approximately forever...

      Delete
    3. I totally get you. Crocheting sounds even slower than knitting. Sending moral support across the ocean.

      Delete