Thursday, June 16, 2016

A Fifty-Shades-of-Grey Jacket

Around this time last year -- Okay, 10 months ago to be exact -- I made one of my proudest produces, a Skinny laMinx Jacket.  I adore it so much that most of the time I let it rest in my closet. I don't want to wear it too much so it becomes worn. That sounds a little silly. There's also the other reason that I don't usually go to places which require me to be any dressier than my usual loosely fitted everyday pants.

I've actually got enough short warm jackets to see me through the winter, but I'm kind of in a long garment phase. More coverage, more warmth. After a few gloomy and rainy days, I was convinced that I needed to have one more long jacket. It's no secret that I like the color grey so I was instantly sold when I spotted the fabric.
 
The pattern is from Kana's Standard II. I am a big fan of Kana's style. This jacket is actually the main drive behind the impulsive purchase of yet another Japanese sewing book. I've lengthened the sleeves by 6cm. I do it to all the Japanese patterns, yet some of the sleeves still turn out to be on the short side. This is the first time that I felt I have added enough for the arm coverage, a tiny bit too long to be honest. But I can happily live with it.
 
I call it Sister of laMinx. Definitely not as striking as Ms laMinx, but I bet it will get more wear. I bought a little extra fabric in case C asks for a poncho or something. She does that often, requesting clothes from the same fabric. "Mom, can you make me a rug out of that fabric?" ......
 
I admit it does send out a ruggish vibe....

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's a rug indeed. We are officially calling it the rug jacket in our household. :-D

      Delete
  2. It's amazing fabric - is it wool? Love all the greys. And it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marisa. I'm not sure what it is exactly, so I suspect it's some kind of wool blend.... it's quite heavy, like wearing a rug. :-D

      Delete