Monday, May 16, 2016

Weekday Bits

picture source
Almost on a daily basis, I receive messages or links to online articles from my mom revealing how bad the local food industry is in China. Her words were "If you had to take the reports seriously, there's absolutely nothing you can eat anymore." Yep, this is what's been happening, from gutter oil and fake eggs and to thousands of other poisonous products that are labelled as food. Where has the moral gone?
 
The story I heard yesterday was aimed at pig farms. Usually it takes about 5-6 months for a piglet to grow into a 100-150kg adult. However, the farmers are now mixing tons of food addictives and hormonal drugs so it speeds up the process. The pigs turn out to be so lethargic that they don't even have the energy to move around. The farmers have a few healthy pigs for their own use. And they claim under no circumstance will they eat the pork from these pigs, but this is the meat quality for the general public.
 
My grandma used to hand sew a lot and as a kid, I used to play with her thread and tools. I remember very vividly that the thimble she had was a thick strong metal ring. She sewed up thick duvet covers by hand with long thick needles and always wore her thimble to push the needle through. Years ago, I bought a made-in-China sewing kit. The thread broke off easily, needles weak, the best part was the thimble was penetratable with a needle. I think China  has the capacity  and skill to produce quality but it is often notoriously linked to making tons of junk products to feed the low-end market. But do we really need such inferior commodities?
 
During a conversation with a yarn shop owner, he told me that most people go for the cheap acrylic yarn. He's trying to convince them to buy wool or yarn with a high percentage of wool but the trend is still acrylic. I went to a few shops afterwards to check labels. Almost everything is acrylic, or with a minimim wool blend. My daughter's school uniform sweater is 100% acrylic. Why are we choosing to wear plastic than investing on a few good pieces and rotate in them. I bet fast fashion contributes some amount to the global climate changes.
 
If you have guests coming, would you prepare a peanut butter sandwich or a slow cooked beef ragu? The deeper I get into this handmade path, the clearer I feel, and the more I understand the value of the investment of time and hard work. This is me now, my perception changed, my goals shifted and if you put me in a farm to collect chicken eggs and shear the sheep, I'd be in my happy place, at least I'd be very happy with the idea of it.

In the years to come, after my own closet is well fed, and if you're looking to invest on some heart made produce, you know where to find me.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more.
    Slow and steady, can indeed, win the (longevity) race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winning the race and enjoying a view at the same time. Double win. :-D

      Delete