Friday, May 27, 2016

Long Dress Coat in Brushed Cotton

I don't remember doing a weekly clothes shopping in the pre-sewing days. But for some strange reasons, even with a weekly production for C, I still struggle to keep up with the demand. The pants I made not too long ago were either too three-quarterly or too thin for the cooler season. Warmish jackets are also on the sought-after list.
 
I have been intentionally saving this piece of precious ultra warm and soft brushed cotton for the right moment. It's a good buy from more than a year ago, during our Tokyo trip. I unhesitantly traced the pattern one size bigger than C's actual size because I would very much like for this dress coat to last another year, at least.
 
Life of a grade one pupil is packed with activities. We usually come home, and have some snack, then homework and before we know it, evening ritual kicks in. On a photoshoot day, we just have to jam the shoot and snack together. Bribery is to upgrade the snack to dark chocolate chess biscuits. C's in a chess phase right now and needless to say, dark chocolate is her forever phase.
 
"Would you put the hands in the pockets?" I said to her. "But mommy, where are the pockets? I don't see them." There she was, looking for pockets like a dog chasing its tail. (Is it even a proper metaphor?)
 
In-seam pockets located!

7 comments:

  1. This looks great in the giant checked fabric. Good move making it longer - I made one for R last year (I think...?) and it was on the short side even then (I guess that means that this year it should turn into a coat).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still good being a coat. My daughter is still wearing the toddler sized dresses that my mom bought for her when she was two years old. They are now both retired to be summer time PJ tank tops (from dress length), but surprisingly, they are still alive.

      Delete
  2. I love your pattern choices, your fabrics are pretty spot on too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Nicole. You are always so very encouraging. :-)

      Delete