Friday, March 25, 2016

Neck Ribbon Blouse

I've lost my sewing momentum, which can only mean one thing --- school holiday is here. About once every 10 weeks, my role is shifted to a full-on play mate. I had the time to cut some fabric just before the holiday started and it had been neglected for days, together with my sewing machine. I've arranged play dates for C's friends to come over so I could disappear to my sewing. Unfortunately, they didn't work out the way I had in mind. The kids took over the entire dinning table, which happens to be my sewing space.... When C spent the afternoon at a friend's place yesterday, I didn't waste one minute. My little sewing horse ran furiously.

This top pattern is from a book called Simple Recipe for Ceremony Clothes. I've had this book on the shelf untouched for a year. The style looks quite formal compared to my other clothes, like I need an office job to sew one of those. While I was paging through it one day, I spotted this blouse and thought it's got potential to be worn casually, a.k.a. with my denim pants.

Or, with a skirt to achieve a more formal look. My 6-year-old says I look like a college student.  That's a compliment I guess? The sizing in the book isn't very clear. It gives you a guideline of the finished garments instead of your own bust/waist/hip measurements. I measured a few tops of mine as reference and decided to go for size 11, the middle size. I was aiming for full-length sleeves, so strategically I lengthened a good 9.5cm to the sleeves. However, they are now in between a three-quarter and full-length. Sigh.

I never, I mean never, trace button positions on patterns. I like to position the buttons myself after the whole garment is constructed. I turned a four-button closure to a six-button closure, placing every two slightly closer to each other, like there are three sets of them. To me, they add a little bit interesting details to the blouse.
 
It was a really windy day and I contemplated going outdoor for a photoshoot. As a result of poor lighting, some of the pictures are really blurry. I did embrace the wind at the end and caught some last-minute natural light before the sun went down.
 
That's it for today. I think I have a lot of kids to deal with before I get to touch any fabric again. After all, they are the reason that I can sit at my laptop right now instead of playing pretend games with my only child. Bless play dates.

6 comments:

  1. Jing I LOVE what you've done with the buttons - what a great design feature. The blouse looks really pretty both with pants and with a skirt. And I agree - playdates are the best! Especially when the kids disappear into a bedroom and play quietly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marisa. Playdates save the soul, especially so with an only child. ;-) Hope you had lovely Easter weekend.

      Delete
  2. We have all weekend play dates, EVERYONE has a chum. It is loud and they consume a lot of food but they all entertain themselves.

    I really like this blouse on you, it is so sweet and sophisticated.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the most wonderful thing to have them self-entertained? I don't even mind cleaning up afterwards. Thank you, Nicole.

      Delete
  3. You look classy in this blouse - its pretty and feminine.

    ReplyDelete