Tuesday, January 26, 2016

French Sleeve Pintuck Dress

My sewing mojo is back, and hopefully it stays. I cut out this dress pattern during the December school holidays, and it had been left hanging throughout the entire holidays. As much as I wasn't surviving on two dresses that I brought with me after our recent move, I just couldn't find the time to cut the fabric and put it together. Luckily, C's wardrobe is full and she basically only wore tank tops and shorts the entire time, so she's not desperate for new clothes. A neighbor asked me yesterday "What did you do today?" That kind of question usually triggers deep thinking. What I did do yesterday was making the beds, prepared breakfast, got my daughter to brush her teeth and all her morning things after 100 repetitive calls, vacuumed the house, cleaned all the dirty dishes, did the laundry, made lunch, cleaned up the mess after a play date, prepared supper, showered said daughter and put her to sleep. Even to me, those things seem worthless mentioning, even though they did take up majority of the time. I knew he was looking for something else, like what have you "produced" today, "work"-wise? What have you done, like is there an end product? So, instead of giving him a rundown of my day, I said "I did some in-between sewing while the girls were playing." and I believe that's the answer he was looking for. How do you other "work"-at-home moms do it? I find my days are drowned in house chores, and at the end of the day, everybody thought I did nothing. And I don't blame them. House gets cleaned and becomes dirty soon; dishes get cleaned and get used again. It's not like "There, I've made a dress today." or "I've made a business deal." With endless daily housework, you see very little results in comparison.
 
I don't know why I nagged about housework so much. Maybe it's from the global underappreciated stay-at-home situation, or maybe, the real maybe, that I made a dress that reminds me very much of a 1950's housewife. I had this fabric in my stash for almost a year and I never found a suitable pattern for it. Now I look at it in the pictures, I should've turned it into an Archer. As if the small floral prints weren't enough to give it a housewifey vibe, I lengthened about 10cm, due to precious experience. I thought now "the wind won't bother me anyway." <-- insert outdated Frozen theme song.
 
In order to break that 1950s look, I thought it was genius to pair it with a messenger bag and tackies. I was hoping to achieve a more out-of-the-house image but only to be told that I look like a school teacher....well at least I'm not inside the house anymore.
 
Anyway, the credit of this pattern goes to Sweet Dress Book. It's an extremely fast sew. There are front and back bodice pieces only, with facing and pockets. It's the type of garment that should boost your confidence and of course it's suitable for person who's just getting back in touch with their sewing.
 
This picture above shows me on my way to a mental institute, already in my gown, still in the same era. However, I've got a new vision for next time, with shortened above-the-knee length, in black linen. Now that's going to be something totally different.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your witty post. Actually, I think it looks cute. I did a Google search to find out how this dress differs from "Stylish Dress Book: Wear With Freedom" Dress E, which is by the the same author, Yoshiko Tsukiori. I see that the Sweet Dress Book model C has no gathering in the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Yes, this dress has no gather, not even sleeve pieces. A super fast sew.

      Delete