Thursday, December 31, 2015

Year End New Swimsuit


We have moved house and C's in the middle of school holidays. Is it enough to explain my radio silence? Maybe not. Up till yesterday we had no internet connection. Even if I could take my laptop to a coffee shop, I don't suppose they'd allow me to bring my sewing machine too. I know, I'm loaded with excuses. On the other hand,  I'm thoroughly enjoying this break with my family than worrying about garment making, which is somehow a healthy attitude towards festival seasons.(?)


Speaking of the move, M loves renting out our house during the season time and I detest it. It's more than just having to pack up most of our belongings. One year we ended up in a broken-down house ourselves, in a one-horse town, two hours away from Cape Town. That year was a disaster.

This December we've moved to the sunny side of the city, in our own flat. C was born here and spent her first 3 years in this place. So many happy memories rushed in as we unpacked our stuff that we stored away. Yes, it's a small flat, but there're many other factors that matter more to me than the size of the living space itself.


This swimsuit was sewn about a week ago during my first hour of spare time, after days of unpacking. The contruction took about 20 ninutes. I don't have a sewing space now. Our dinning table has also shrunk size and currently it's mostly C's arts and crafts space.  My sewing machine lives in my closet and I take it out whenever I need it, like the other day I used it to bind a few pages together because I forgot where I had packed the stapler...How did I survive all those years without a sewing machine?


It was three months ago when I discovered Sun N' Fun Swimsuit and Leotard pattern. The Snow Leopard swimsuit I sewed up has been in a serious usage, so much so that the bottom part has started to pill a lot from sitting on various rough surfaces. I used some stronger elastic this time around, which made the swimsuit very tight. Sigh... Also the pattern itself doesn't come with the lengthen of the elastic that you should use. Usually I'm the type that gives up completely on that pattern, but C is in need of a spare swimsuit for the summer beach days. Since I'm not surrendering to the store-bought version yet, I will need to practice more to get a higher success rate. It's such a quick make, I shouldn't have any excuses, really.

5 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous, I really like the colours of the fabric. It's great that you can stay in your own flat; it must be such a hassle to move out every summer! I used to live in Sea Point and I remember how it would be suddenly full of people from Joburg walking around in their bathers and taking up all the parking spots on Main Rd. Hope C enjoys wearing her new bathers at all the lovely Cape Town beaches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of packed beaches, we hid at home the whole day on New Year's Day, and drove to Boulder's Beach yesterday, only to find out there were more people than penguins there. So we decided to drive on and discovered a heavenly place at Smitswinkel Bay. A must visit if you ever come to Cape Town again. :D

      Delete
  2. Must be an annoying time of year for the penguins too! Haven't been to Smitswinkel Bay; I'll file that one away for a future visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There have been many times that I thought I might have to make my own swimsuit after frustrating hours spent in stores looking for a suit that fit properly. I did find crochet bikinis online where I can buy the tops and bottoms separately, which is perfect since I could never crochet a bikini for myself.

    Ceilia @ Chynna Dolls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. crochet bikinis? Never heard of! But I agree with you that bikinis should have the options to be sold separately.

      Delete