Friday, December 11, 2015

Balloon Party Dress


Continuing escaping reality, I made C a dress that shouts summer. I know, I know that we're moving next week, and there are plenty things to sort out, but also because of these moving related house chores, I know it's going to be a while before I plug in my sewing machine again. I had to give an end-of-the-year push.  Besides the mess we are living in right now, we are thoroughly enjoying this school holiday so far. Our days are filled with activities, most of the time a friend is involved.  The other day, C was "kidnapped" by a mom friend at the shopping mall. It's funny how only-child parents are on the hunt all the time looking for play mates for their children.


So anyway, I went through my fabric boxes, to see if there's anything I should get rid of. I'm not a hoarder, but when it comes to fabric, I save even the smallest scraps. What if I could use it one day to make a zipper pouch? Or pocket bias tape? I have a whole box full of scraps that I haven't touched for a year, but I still keep them. Sigh....


I spotted this beautiful cheerful fabric while doing the spring cleaning, and immediately I had the dress in my head already. I have still quite a few brand new fabric from our March/April Tokyo/Shanghai trip and I've been saving them for summer sewing. The pattern is from Mano Akiko's Oshare ga Suki na Onnanoko no Fuku. It's one of the top three books that I intend to sew everything from.

The dress reminds C of birthday parties so we found one last balloon in the house and she drew a picture of bear shaped balloons. In fact, she went to a birthday party that afternoon in this dress. Couldn't've been more appropriate.


Before the sewing days, I'd always buy kids' clothes a little bigger so they'd last longer. I still did that when I just began to sew, choosing a size bigger. But now I sew from the right size, because I don't think she'll ever run out of clothes to wear, as long as I keep on making. Yesterday we went through her clothes and she picked out a few clothes to give to her cousin. She's kept all the ones I've made for her and chosen the store bought ones to give away, some of which are still brand new. I was very touched knowing that she treasures what I've made for her.


Ok I will be entering a packing and unpacking with full force.
See you next week.

2 comments:

  1. This is really sweet. I have that book too - it's nice to your version of the dress, since it's one I haven't made yet. As for moving, I lived in CT for 7 years, and I remember lots of people renting out their houses over the holiday season. Is that what you're doing? Hope your move goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Isn't that a very special book? I wish my daughter allows me enough time to sew everything before she grows out of its biggest size.
      Yes, hubby loves renting house out over the season. Usually we go away at the same time, but this year we're moving back to our own flat due to the lengthy rental period. It's a 7 minutes' walk to the promonade. I'm really happy, not so sure about the packing/unpacking though.

      Delete