Monday, November 30, 2015

Stamp Carving

For those of you who do know and don't know, my sewing room is currently on the dinning table. It usually gets spread out to the whole table, but these two weeks, my in-laws are in town for a visit, which means my sewing space is compromised, since you know, we cannot possibly cram 5 people at the coffee table --- our usual meal spot.

I am submerged in interacting with the family these day. Our weekend was relaxed with nice food. It felt like just as I was finishing cleaning up after lunch, dinner service was ready to go. This isn't something I experience often, because 355 days a year, we are a small family on our own. from time to time, I do enjoy having extra people in the house. My 6-year-old is having a ball right now.

Having said that, I get antsy when I cannot sew, or get my hands on something besides house chores and meal services. It's funny at the beginning stage of this blog, I was into cooking and sewing equally. Now I'd do anything to make meals simple and fast. The cooking part is slipping away while my other interests take over.


Stamp carving is something I've been wanting to get into for a while. I've got a pinterest board of stamps. We don't have any Speedball products in South Africa, and since majority of the things on Amazon don't ship to the country, I had to find an alternative. I ended up with lino from Deckle Edge. Their lino is soft and easy to carve. The thing is I find it too smooth and thus the paint doesn't stick very well to it.  I think it's probably because I haven't found a correct way to use it, as I see other people using lino stamps very successfully.

The result became even with worse after I had stuck them onto wood blocks. If the pattern on the images was consistent, I'd have no complaints. It's anything but... Well, it's a practice. There's still so much I have to figure out, like how to use a brayer properly, so the paint is smooth on the board to start with.

I will continue to have small space and small amount of time for crafting to bring sanity to my mind for the following 10 days or so, and I shall explore more alternatives besides sewing. In a way, it's almost exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment