Saturday, November 21, 2015

Old-Me-New-Me Blouse and Trusty Sarouel Pants Combo

The past week had involved so much planning, on paper, that I almost felt unnatural not hearing the chuka-chuka-chukas from my sewing machine. So when a friend asked if I wanted to grab a cup of coffe on Friday morning, I had to turn it down as I was assembling this blouse.

How do you feel about coffee mornings? I feel guilty on two accounts. One hand, the coffee dates usually last two hours given or taken, and some days C's only at school for 4-5 hours. These coffee dates completely throw out my daily productivity. On the other hand, I really feel bad always having to decline an invite. The thing is, I'm trying to build up something to be financially independant or partially independent next year and I need the very little time I have every morning to focus on working, not chit chatting. I mean I do like seeing friends over coffees, but for now, I'll have to leave that SAHM benefit behind. To be realistic, I am still open to coffee once every two weeks.
 
I am a very self-displined person. Once I've set a goal for myself, I achieve it 99% of the time. The last 1% is left in fate's hands. I've been thinking a lot lately, of my current universally under-appreciated SAHM situation. I've poured every bit of heart and soul into nurturing a child and a family, to the point that I sometimes unfairly think I've traded in my life and my own happiness. The ultimate happiness comes from seeing a happy child. There's no doubt about that. But at what price? Is it worth it when you are treated with little respect according to the money-making status? Should respect come with money, in a marriage, I wonder?

How to evolve from a show-and-tell kind of blog to a career that's flexible enough to suit my other title "mom" is what I have to figure out. I went to two castings in the past week. Modeling isn't something that I'm quite comfortable doing, but in the sake of some potential income, I dived. You know, during my teen years, I almost dropped out of school to pursue a sought after modeling career. Like most teenage girls at my time, I wanted to be a supermodel. I have the height I was the last thing related to obesity, which seemed were the only two facts that mattered at the modeling school I was enrolled in. Three years in, I strongly voted against it. Whether I liked it or not was not important, I lacked the charisma. But you know what else happened, I still went back to do modeling jobs here and there to see through my university years. To follow passion and start a career is no easy task, I will need whatever support jobs I can find. And here I am, more than 10 years later, I'm saying yes to modeling again.


I think it's about time we changed a subject and talked about this outfit I made and am deeply in love with. The blouse is a one-size fits all pattern from Simple Chic. I'm very grateful of my run-of-the-mill Asian "model" body, it fits me so nicely.

The pants are my tried and true Sarouel Pants from Sew Chic. This time I had enough leftover hand dyed linen from a shirt I made for a birthday boy. As you can see, I don't even stray from the neutral colorway, whether it's for a child, or for myself.
 

This outfit is one hundred percent me. I'd be happy to wear variations of this type of casuel clothes every day. As a matter of a fact, I threw on a hemp jacket and went to the last casting as is.


Whatever the future holds, I'm ready and I can almost see the light already.
Till next time.

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous outfit.
    I love being a SAHM but I do understand. I find 'coffee' a big chunk of wasted time, I love catching up with friends but I have so much to do!
    One chum comes and lays on the sofa in my sewing room and chats as I sew, she is a good friend.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nicole. I love reading your blog about how you sew for your big family.
    At the moment, my sewing space is on half of the dinning table. I think getting friends to have coffee on the other side of the table while I sew is an excellent idea. I shall explore that possibility....

    ReplyDelete