Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Falling


These past few days have been a roller coaster, going only downwards. There has been a series of failure in different levels, which did make me question my ability.
 
Remember the tank top that I drafted and got so excited for myself? Over the weekend I couldn't wait to share it, so I looked up a few videos/tutorials on how to digitize it. It turned out digitizing a pattern is time consuming work, if you get right. But in my case, it didn't work out at all. I ended up spending the whole Sunday afternoon trying to figure out how to do it, or  rather how to fail it. In the end of the day, I was frustrated. Lots of time were invested without any outcome. It happened to me once before when I tried to add social media buttons onto this blog. Googled a few tutorials, but none of them worked.  The tech and I are not getting along well at the moment. To this day, I still don't have the buttons on, and I do intend to move this whole space to a customized domain in the future, but there's no way I'm fiddling with it myself again.
 
After the pattern digitizing failure, I thought I'd sew a few basic tanks, on different fabric, just to see how it behaves. I cut out three kinds of fabric --- two thicknesses of rib and one plain cotton knit --- and sewed up all three of them, but only the plain cotton knit that doesn't stretch a lot turned out nicely. I was having a hard time getting the neckline right, thanks to the stretchiness of rib. These tanks top take very little time to construct. If it was anything more complicated, I'd probably have had a meltdown already. Right now, I'm just glad I wasn't able to share it online to cause anyone else's misery. Sometimes things happen for a reason, right?

The thing is I am not ready. I am eager, but not ready. I am all self-taught, still fresh and new, and yet I want to go out there already and try do what takes other professional pattern makers years to achieve. OK maybe not years to draft a tank top, but still. There's so much potential fail and error involved to get a perfect fit. I was lucky enough to get it right for the one top I made by winging it. That saying "practice makes perfect" never gets old. I'm happy to start from the basics and practise until my neckline is not rippled anymore.

As for the rest of the week, I will be doing lots of pattern tracing and woven fabric cutting. I am going to get back on the horse with my reliable Japanese sewing books. Talking about destressing....
 
 Till next time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment