Thursday, October 29, 2015

Happy Birthday to You!

Would you like to wake up to this? I would, and I did, multiple times in one night.
C was too excited to wait for her birthday morning that she woke up at 2:30 a.m. to see if I had set everything up. Yep, she was fully awake and walked around the house in the wee hours and eventually fell asleep again to wake up at 5:30 a.m. in the morning. Wide awake. Too excited to go back to sleep.


Yesterday we celebrated C's 6th birthday. I couldn't believe it was six years ago that she made her first appearance. Wow. It's also her second birthday without a party. She had asked for a few toys that she really wanted for her birthday and she's content with them. In this case, we're very low key, compared to most of the kids birthday parties we've been to. In China, people are still giving red envelopes so the birthday kids can buy what they want. I might introduce the red envelope to her when she's a bit older.


It doesn't mean we have to skip the fun of bringing a little festivity to the house as well. C and I did this together. We cut out hundreds of square shaped paper, played with them, drew on them, then she helped me feed them to the sewing machine to make curtain garlands.


Almost too ofen, I get pictures and handmade cards from C. So for her birthday I decided to draw a card for her. According to Chinese Zodiac, we are two oxen and one pig in the family. A bunch of farmyard animals.


Ultimate Chocolate Cake recipe is from here. For two years, I haven't run around like crazy trying to organize parties. Party-free is hassel free. I feel I can actually focus on the birthday girl on her special day, which is something that I think I should actually be doing. Growing up we never had birthday parties involving kids from two classes. It's like mass production. Time has changed, yes I understand that, but keeping it the old-fashioned way is what we prefer right now.
 
Next year? I am aiming for another handmade birthday. We will see after 364 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment