Monday, August 17, 2015

Homemade Chocolate --- not a total failure


I have one -- make it two --- chocolate addicts at home, not counting myself.  My daughter is extremely fussy, so much so that she doesn't eat sweets, except for the commercial chocolate that is categorized as candy due to its mass sugar content. She eats anything chocolatey, good chocolate, junkie chocolate, sweet ones, bitter ones, chocolate by-products.... you name it.

For a long time, I had wanted to make it count. Let's face it. Commercial chocolate --- bad; Homemade chocolate with the right ingredients --- good.  This time, I've gone all the way to the root. Normally I'm no fan of Superfoods, but considering the high amount of otherwise sugary products that loaded with addictives, I surrender.

Only 3 ingredients are needed to make this basic chocolate. Shocking. I count up to five times that on a package of a store-bought brand. What do people say nowadays? The less ingredients the better.

So to make this chocolate, you will need:

1 cup of cocao power
1 cup of cocao butter
1/2 cup of honey

Mix everything in a double boiler and pour into moulds. It can be cooled in fridge or room temperature. I had a little problem with mixing, as you can see in the picture above. I took out my blender to give it a final whisk, still it seems the oil/cocao butter and the cocao paste are not combining nicely. Maybe next time I will reduce the cocao butter amount. It was quite difficult to measure it by the volume to start with.

The taste? It's real deal. Now my 5-year-old asks particularly for the homemade chocolate and she is satisfied after one or two of them. Win-win. As the for the presentation, I shall work on that next time....





No comments:

Post a Comment