Friday, February 27, 2015

Hemp Jacket with Back Tie

 

Delicious hemp!
Hemp is just gorgeous. It's like something in between linen and thick muslin, yet still has its strength. I can tell this jacket is going to last for years to come. M got this overdyed grey piece of hemp for me a while ago already but I was too scared to use it. I tend to be timid with any fabric that's got a big price tag.


I used a little bit cutting on bias and made this neck warmer for my Secret Valentine. I had about 2 meters minus that neck warmer amount of fabric to work with, and no matter how I placed the patterns, there just wasn't enough fabric to squeeze everything to run with the same grain. Thus both sleeves were cut on the opposite grain. There was no other option. But judging from the finished product, it doesn't seem to matter much. Or will it?


I gave my ballpoint needle a break finally after sewing seven consecutive knits projects. Is it just me or is hemp a little bouncy? It's pretty easy to line up the fabric perfectly because of that tiny stretchiness.


The pattern is from Happy Homemade Sew Chic. I lengthed the sleeves, since most of the time, I don't get the idea of three-quarter length. My forearms definitely needs full coverage. This is a view with back tie, but I personally prefer leaving the ties in the pockets. As jacket goes, I can't imagine anything easier to put together. There's no closure of any kind.


However, I decided to add two buttons on the top, just in case it gets windy and chilly, which happens quite often here.

 
 
Or when I run after a C on the sprinting scooter. OK the jacket holds its shape really nicely and I like what it looks like in motion.
 
 
This is very me, paired up with these sarouel pants. It's going to be one of my Autumn go-to outfits for sure.

It seems we are heading to Maynardville Park and spend a day at Community Chest Carnival.
Have a great weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I'm in the process of making this jacket myself at the moment. I love your idea of adding buttons. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. I hope you will enjoy the jacket as much as I do. :-)

      Delete