Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Only Child Syndrome

I bumped into a mom/teacher friend the other day at the gym. She's 7 months' pregnant with child number three. I sincerely worship people with multiple kids. How can they ever manage?!

The friend carried on adding that during the weekends, she can just lie in bed reading her magazines. --- "I don't even have to get up."

How do I spend my weekends? Well, I'm usually woken up by 6 in the morning. I do get a 15 minutes' snooze allowance if I'm lucky. The entertainment officially starts at 6:15 a.m. and never ends till 7:00 at night.

C is not the type that she can just sit and play on her own. She needs company even when she's coloring in or watching TV. Now I don't have the wildest imagination and I probably suck at pretend games, and sometimes I do wish she could be more independent, but I treasure all the moments that I'm blessed to spend with her.

2 days old C. I was mesmerized by her look and had no idea what it's like to be parent, yet.
During the years I did wonder from time to time what it would be like to have had a second child. But do I want the child so C can have a play mate, or more honestly, that I don't have to provide full-time entertainment? The motive is doubtful. What if they don't even get along and fight all the time? I would hate to be a home policewoman.

Five solid years later, C has reached a golden age. She's easy to communicate, and she does make sense most of the time. Yet she's still innocent and cute in one package. Do I really want to start all over? No!

Luckily, M and I are on the same page.

No comments:

Post a Comment