Monday, October 13, 2014

Birthday Party Thought

Source -- Ultimate Chocolate Cake
"Mommy, I don't want a birthday party this year. I will celebrate my birthday with Lego Friends" --- Music to my ears. "But I still want the chocolate cake you promised to make." --- For sure my love.

C's birthday is two weeks away and she has made up her mind that she'd rather have a selection of Lego sets. Realistic, like me.

My parents are never into birthdays. Memory tells me that I'd always go buy a new outfit for my birthday, then my father would cook noodles, which symbolize longevity, on the day. I was never into cakes, and still am not, so that saved some trouble as well. Birthdays were spent with my parents and families.

The South African parents shock me, in a way. I've been to some really extravagant kids' birthdays that involve meal catering service for the adults, multiple gigantic jumping castles, fancy venue hire, kids entertainers and out-of-the-world decor. Usually between 20-40 kids are invited. The cost of these parties are no less than US$1000.  Kids parties have become a competition among the parents.

I do have some surprises planned for C's birthday this year. I might have spent more than that amount already (spoiler alert: a new iPad geared for exciting new apps for the family to share. Our first generation iPad is stuck on iOS 5.0 and looking forward to a decent retirement). But I am just glad I don't have to throw the money away and entertain the whole class or whole grade. I'm not a good entertainer, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment