Monday, September 29, 2014

Less Is More --- Medicine Talk

Whenever I got sick as a child, my parents always made sure that I had plenty of pills to swallow. Before I even showed a proper sign of fever, I would be swallowing pills already. My mom, especially, was on a pill-watch duty. Luckily I could manage 5 capsules in one go of water. That was my proud record. Nowadays even one pill takes a good swim in my mouth before I can position it nicely to be flushed away. I guess this is one of those "skills" that you lose without constant practice.

Once in high school, I was on a 3-day course of some sort of Paracetamol tablets, that have day pills and night pills. My mom had run out of day pills, so I took a night pill one morning before I left for school. The moment I arrived at school, I started to get sleepy. I slept through the morning classes. That afternoon I had a Chinese exam and guess what, I fell asleep during the exam!! The teacher woke me up when she came to collect my paper. (Why hadn't she woken me up earlier??)  I felt terrible that I didn't get to finish the paper, but the side effect of the medicine was still strong, I was asleep again on way home sitting on a bus. How I woke up at the right stop to get off the bus, I didn't know. But thank God I did wake up at the right time.


Somehow in adulthood, I don't bother to get tablets anymore. And of course my parents are not there to monitor me. I've been cold pills sober for more than 10 years. Once in a long while, when I do have a cold, I drink ginger tea which works like a charm.
  • a few slices of ginger
  • 400ml water
  • honey
Put the ginger and water in a milk pot and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes or so, and add honey to your taste. It soothes throat and chases away the cold. Best part yet --- it doesn't make you fall asleep.

As a parent, I have a totally different approach compared to my parents. I sit and watch the symptoms develop and disappear, without the intervention of medicine.  Trust me, they all take the same amount of time to leave your system. We have an embarrassingly empty medicine cupboard in the house. Don't get me wrong. I'm not against medicine or anything. But common cold/flu/tummy bug doesn't qualify for a pill call.

This post is powered by C's fussiness about food. I wouldn't have been so relaxed if C hadn't gagged on some flu syrup on my first attempts years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment