Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Homemade Hummus

My first homemade hummus attempt was dated in late 2009. Why do I remember that? C was just born and she slept a lot, while I stayed at home, super bored. During the hummus making, I knocked over the olive oil bottle and flooded the kitchen. I spent more time cleaning up the mess. It yielded an amount equal to a 2L tub ice cream and that became my supper for a few days. Unforgettable.


Obviously I needed more than 4 years to get over those suppers. I do buy hummus in small tubs from supermarkets but have never made them again. Homemade hummus --- a touchy subject. Until recently, I've developed this emotional/psycological allergy to perservatives. The more I can get away with it, the better.

 
I have this recipe in my book for years. I forgot where I had seen it originally. My second attempt was accidents free and it makes just enough for us to snack for 2 days.

What you need:
  • 125 dried chickpeas, soaked in water overnight, then cooked
  • 1 lemon, juice and zest
  • 2T tahini
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 120 olive oil
  • salt to taste
Basically I just threw everything in the food processor and let it do the job. Add some if necessary, to make it smoother. I'm so glad it doesn't call for canned chickpeas. Remember the "end of the world" saying going on back in 2012? M got tons of chickpeas for us, just in case. We've still got loads in the cupboard --- clearly we don't eat chickpeas often enough. I'm soaking the chickpeas again tonight to make more. Wouldn't you want some healthy snack like this?


A lot of hummus refill available.

No comments:

Post a Comment