Monday, September 8, 2014

Broccoli with Peanut Butter and Barbecue Sauce

I'm addicted to broccoli lately. I'm calling it "addicted" because I can eat it for lunch and supper and still snack on it.  My parents cooked a lot of cauli flower and I was never a fan --- even till this day I can't handle its taste. I was always suspicious of broccoli --- cauli flower's cousin and never wanted to try.

It was one day having a late supper with a friend at a restaurant in Shanghai. My friend had gone ahead and ordered for both of us before I arrived. There, he ordered broccoli. No other green vegetables. I was starving and couldn't bother to order something else and wait for the kitchen to cook. Luckily he also ordered tea, so if I didn't like it, I would have at least something to wash it down. The broccoli was cooked with a touch of garlic and I tried one piece, then another and another. I fell in love with it.


I'm steaming and boilding vegetables a lot lately, rather than stirfry. This way it preserves more nutrients but doesn't add a lot of taste. I sincerely worship those ones who can munch raw broccoli or raw muchroom, or raw poy choy leaves.... My vegetables have to be cooked at least and then seasoned, preferably with more than just salt and pepper. I started to fiddle with the sauce, and I'm quite happy to report this one reminds me of the Chinese style hotpot.


Get 3 big heap tablespoons of smooth peanut butter. Gradually add lukewam water a little at a time and stir until light and smooth, like yoghurt consistency. Add 2t of barbecue sauce and mix it all in. You have your sauce.


I spotted this giant broccoli at the supermarket and carried it home like some prize. It's merely preventing me from eating all of the broccoli while cooking and having nothing left to serve for supper.

You see some kids put ketchup on almost everything they eat. With this sauce, I could ... er... most probably ... eat a book......

No comments:

Post a Comment