Friday, August 8, 2014

Star Parka


It's been a busy week, especially with pre-school concert coming up next month. The "costume making department" is busy with volunteering moms. I was assigned to make ten 6-layer gather-extreme skirts. Turned out the cutting and squashing everything under the foot of my beginner sewing machine were both time-consuming and challenging....I've given up and taking them to a little factory first thing Monday....

 
I managed to finish this top by the end of week. The pattern is from Sew Chic Kids. I lengthed the 3/4 sleeves to full length. This fabric is warmish and I just can't picture her wearing it with shorter sleeves. Since it's the first time I've attempted to alter a pattern, I looked for a tutorial and landed at The Sewing Rabbit. The tutorial, however, is not a raglan style sleeve. I wanted to be clever and used the same theory on this sleeve pattern. The result --- the tutorial should work on any kind of sleeves! So happy it worked.
 
 
I also added a kangaroo pocket. My kid is forever on the hunt for clothes with pockets. She's so excited that now she can put both hands in the same pocket and feel each other...
 
 
Oh I lined the hoodie as well. I studied her other hoodies and all of them have linings. So!
 
 
I bought this fabric a year ago or so, when my big sewing ambition started budding but never got materialized until recently. It's got a nice brushed feel.
 
 
The corduroy skirt is from a local shop called Big Blue.  C was instantly sold when she saw the butterflies. Never mind the slippers....

No comments:

Post a Comment