Thursday, August 21, 2014

Marinated Beef Strips with Broccoli

I originally saw the recipe on a friend's Pinterest board. For some reason I can't locate it anymore. Good news is that I've printed out the recipe and made over 100 times already. I follow everything --- you know how I like to follow --- except for the soy sauce amount.


The originally recipe called for a 1/2 cup soy sauce OR 1/4 cup of soy sauce and 1/4 water. I totally ignored the first option, since that's an insanely amount of soy sauce. My very first batch was done with the 1/4 cup soy sauce + 1/4 cup water option. It's quite yummy, but the kind that's accompanied by a lot of rice and probably big amount of water after meal. Even as a 3-year soy sauce OD survivor, I couldn't approve it 100 percent.


I then halved the soy sauce amount to 1/8 cup with 7/8 cup of water. It turned out perfect every single time. I made this quick meal again as my lunch this week. See how I'm taking my lunches seriously these days.


Here is the edited recipe that I've been using:

For the marinate:
1.5 lbs beef strips
1/2 baking soda
1t sugar
1T cornstarch
1T low-sodium soy sauce
1T water
2T vegetable oil

Mix everything in a bowl and stir until smooth. Pour it over your beef strips and coat nicely. Cover and leave it in the fridge for at least 1 hour. (I don't always have 1 hour to marinate. What I have is the little time I'm working on the broccoli, and it seems fine.)

Other ingredients:
1/8 C soy sauce + 7/8 C water
2T brown sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
2T flour
1T sherry
3T vegetable oil
2 heads broccoli
  • Mix the soy sauce + water, brown sugar, garlic, flower, sherry and oil until smooth. Set aside.
  • Heat 2T vegetable oil in a large wok over high heat until shimmering. Add broccoli and saute 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
  • Reduce the heat to medium-high. Add the remaining oil and marinated beef and stir often, until the meat the meat is cooked through. Bring the broccoli back and pour the sauce over and coat well.





No comments:

Post a Comment