Friday, May 23, 2014

Sally Dress

When I stumbled on Go To Patterns about 6 months ago, this dress (this is from the designer's own website) immediately caught my eye. I wasn't exactly looking for patterns to sew back then, but I made a mental note that if I can ever sew clothes one day, this dress is a must-sew!

 
Got the pattern this week and I went straight fabric shopping, and fell in love with this red linen + I-don't-know-what-it's-called shiny fabric. I thought it would be a good combination for Sally Dress.
 
 
To me,  sewing is like building a model ship, or putting together all the jigsaw puzzle pieces. It's fun by itself already, but there's so much more. You try to create a look with the fabric of your choice ---- that is if you don't get lost in a fabric store. The sky is the limit here. There are tons of looks just from one pattern.



I saw Rae's #madeforkidsmonth sewing event earlier this month and would like to be a part of it. The thing is that June is not a good month for summery dresses in the southern hemisphere, even worse with the start of Cape Town's raining season. I had to choose this thickish fabric so Chiara could at least wear some t-shirt underneath. It turned out great. The shine on the skirt fabric is not so obvious in the picture, thanks to a grey day. But I'd say it's more than just an every-day dress.

 
I cut a size 5 instead of a size 4 for my 4-and-a-half-year-old. You can see there's plenty room for her to grow. And it will be a while until her arms are long enough to scratch the bottom of the pockets...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment