Monday, May 26, 2014

Bolognese Sauce Gets Sneaky

When I'm not at the sewing machine, I'm in the kitchen ---- my two favorite spots.
I'm always on the look for fresh ingredients, meaning I try to avoid tin food as much as I can.
You can probably find mountains of bolognese recipes on the internet nowadays. I've done a few modifications to suit my family.


Don't get me wrong. I do buy tin tomatoes. That and tin coconut milk are always on my shopping list. I know tin tomatoes are tinned in the best tomato season and thus you get the most flavorful of them. But when I see beautiful roma tomatoes like this, I just can't help myself.


The best way I've learned to peel the tomato skins:
Bring a pot of water to the boil then switch off the heat. Let your lovely tomatoes have a nice swim in the water for one minute. I usually put the lid on to seal the heat.

 
The skins are so easily peeled off after that. Just look at that.
 
 
Now for the rest of the fresh ingredients. I always hide mushroom and/or pepper in the bolognese sauce for my picky eater. This heavily tomato based sauce hides all the other vegetables.
 
 
My dear old food processor is a life savor here. It chops off onion in seconds and saves my tears.
 
 
You fry the onion and garlic first and while you are doing that, it's time to chop the rest of the vegetables. Just like that, the job is done for you in seconds again.
 
 
Put all the vegetables in the pot and fry a little until soft. Brown the mince then pour your tomatoes in. Use a knife or spatula just chop them up in the pot. Pour a cup of wine, add some origano, salt and pepper to taste, a little sugar and let it simmer with the lid off. Sometimes if I feel the sauce is not tomatoey enough, I'd add 1T tomato paste.
 
I usually serve half for supper and freeze half. One morning's work results in 2 nights' meal. Yum-mmmmy.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment